Collard Green Coleslaw
- ½ lb. collard greens, tough stems removed
- 3 medium carrots, grated (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, grated (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- ½ cup rice or cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. powdered mustard
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Stack 3 or 4 collard leaves flat on work surface. Roll tightly into a cylinder, hold together, and thinly slice to make narrow strips. Coarsely chop strips once sliced. Repeat with remaining collard leaves, and transfer to large bowl. Stir in carrots, onion, and bell pepper.
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, oil, mustard, celery seed, salt, and pepper in small saucepan, and bring to a boil, whisking to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, and pour hot vinegar mixture over collard and vegetable mixture. Stir to coat vegetables with dressing. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and chill 4 hours or overnight.
from The Vegetarian Times, submitted by Sara Gragg